Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Interwebs (1)

I have been surfing the internet since I was six...so yes, it's been...sixteen years. Sure, back then it was like Barbie websites but still, that's a long time. As I got older, my surfing got more in-depth and I found these little things called forums. Or my archnemesis, 'comments'.

Through these opinions from other travelers across the world wide web, I found myself usually pretty...annoyed? I don't believe it's in that crotchety old person way annoyed but certainly pretty irritated. Rarely am I irritated enough to say anything but I've found myself wondering in my "old age" why? I understand people have there own opinions and that I'm not going to agree with everyone and that's dine.

Then I realized that's my problem: No one ELSE seems to grasp this.

I loved Cracked.com. Like, I could lose centuries of my life reading those articles. Some of them are just spectacular and make me laugh so hard. But there was one in particular that has a line it it that will go down in my head as the asshattiest line of all time. It was about five or ten songs that we hear and elevate all the time but actually suck. Within it, the author wrote something along the lines "don't be that douchebag that says music is a matter of opinion/subjective". Okay, first off, I love satire and that's another thing that annoys me about people, they can't tell when something is clearly sarcastic but still decide to disagree. Good job, you're touchy. But this particular line...regardless if the guy was being caustic or dead serious, it's obnoxious. That's hypocritical from that previous line I made but it's really one key to why it's almost impossible to do anything civil on the internet.

Anything and I do mean anything you can have a preference about is probably going to be subjective. Music, art, friends, whatever, you are going to have an opinion. My top ten music list might look a hundred times different than a lot of people. But there is ALWAYS going to be at the very least ONE person that says, 'you're wrong'.

What? I like chocolate thus I'm wrong? On what grounds? You can DISAGREE until the end of time but you liking your strawberry or vanilla isn't going to change what I do. On Deviant Art is where I find this just...rampant. I was looking up some Ouran Host Club fanart to see what's up and one of the first links in the most popular seemed promising so I looked it up. Gorgeous. But out of curiosity I noticed that a couple people chose 'mad' icons on their comments. Huh? I clicked them, thinking they'd be like 'I'm so mad you're so good!'. Both of them said "I hate anime".

WHO THE HELL CARES? I don't like a lot of things but I don't go around looking at those things and saying 'I don't like it'! What is the point?! If I see something on deviant art I don't care for, I don't look at it. Get over yourself. Another one that just had me want to necro a thread though I secretly hoped that all naysayers grew up was a stamp about popularity. "Don't stop liking things because they're popular!". Again, agree, disagree, whatever...except this one rubbed me the wrong way because no one knew what they were disagreeing about. 'Popular things suck!', 'I disagree!'. The stamp is saying that if you like something, don't stop liking it or feel pressured to when more than three people know about it. I've met a lot of people like this.

Frankly, there was no ROOM for disagreement here, it's like saying 'if you like things that other people like you're a poser'. What? How do you disagree that that's stupid? Except if you're a hipster. By the way, how many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Oh, it's some obscure number, I'm sure you've never heard of it

I honestly try not to let this annoy me. Like I avoid comments and keep to myself, all that. But when I see just one comment like this I have to read others and shake my head, wondering what's wrong with people. They just live to disagree and I really...disagree to that. I don't know if I live by the 'if you don't have anything nice to say' mantra but I believe a lot of people need to pick up some of it's elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment